Sunday, October 11, 2009

More About The Discontinued Tom Ford Private Blend Perfumes


Apparently, I was wrong.

When I first confirmed the news about Tom Ford discontinuing several of the Private Blend perfumes, I mentioned I wasn't buying the statement about the changes being planned from the very beginning. I was wrong, as you can see in this WWD article from February 2nd, 2007. In the interview, Tom Ford himself says:

"The scents that are successful will stay; others, we'll edit out"
Basically, the entire Private Blend has always been on a probation of sort. The good news is for Tobacco Vanilla fans- this one isn't very likely to disappear any time soon. The bad news is that we, as a focus group, have failed poor Moss Breches and didn't buy enough bottles to keep it alive.

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole thing. The husband and I had a lively discussion about it. He finds the concept and Ford's statement refreshingly honest. I see it as more than a little cynical. Crazy perfume people tend to describe their favorite lines and scents in romantic terms of art and vision. We've read too many Serge Lutens interviews, I guess. But we mustn't forget that perfume is also a big business and both Tom Ford Beauty and the Private Blend were developed and backed by Lauder money. And Lauder, unlike Uncle Serge, is here to make serious buck.

Bottom line: If you're a Purple Patchouli fan, you might want to consider getting that big 8.3oz bottle, as I hear that one is a goner, too.

How do you feel about this issue? Please share your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment