Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Laura Biagiotti Venezia

Another lost perfume.
I could never understand why Venezia by Laura Biagiotti was discontinued. It was everywhere in the 90s and I'm pretty sure a scary percentage of my college population was wearing it at one point. I think of Venezia as the mother of many much inferior fruity-floriental that came after it. While I'm rarely in the mood for this honeyed blackcurrant jam with a side of rose and a creamy vanilla-amber drydown, it is a very pleasant scent with quite a bit of sex appeal.


There's something velvety about the way Venezia wears. It's a perfect romantic perfume, both for a first date and the third one. The fruity element is disarming at the beginning of the evening, but later leaves the scene for the usual suspects- vanilla and sandalwood.

I have no idea about the sales numbers and business decision that lead to Biagiotti's decision to axe Venezia. I doubt any of the other perfumes from this house has the same devoted fans that would shell lots of pretty pennies on eBay just to get one more bottle. I hear there's a dupe by Long Lost Perfumes, but I've never tried it. I was lucky enough to find a partial bottle of the EDT for a very reasonable price. I don't wear it enough to justify hunting for more, but I admit wishing I could get my hands on the parfum extrait that is rumored to have existed once upon a time.

Art: Venetian Cortasanas by Fabian Perez
Venezia perfume ads: okadi.com and couleurparfum.com

No comments:

Post a Comment