Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Chanel Cristalle Eau Verte - It's actually good for something


...just not as a perfume.

It's not like I had high expectations from Chanel Cristalle Eau Verte. When it comes to the Cristalle range, I don't really get the EDT (I wear the EDP), but I can (sort of) appreciate it for what it is. Knowing that Eau Verte is most likely the post-IFRA replacement for the original EDT on its real citrus and oakmoss should have been enough of a warning. After all, I smelled the newly reformulated Eau d'Hadrien (Goutal) and wanted to cry. Whatever they use now to replace citrus oil is not very convincing, but I hoped Jacques Polge might succeed where Isabelle Doyen had failed.

The first whiff of Cristalle Eau Verte goes straight to my head, but not in a good way. It's sharp, sour and takes a few brain cells and my nose tissue before it burns off. From then on things mellow down considerably into a sheer and pleasant lemonade-limeade. If you squint and try hard enough to find it, there might be a floral thing going, but not enough to bloom in this acidic potion. No matter how much I spray, the perfume doesn't last after an hour and a half, which might not be a bad thing, because a couple more hours of this would have bored me to death. There's just nothing there to capture my attention and interest. I would never have guessed Cristalle Eau Verte was a Chanel. It lacks any hint of cheekbones and good breeding one might expect from this house.

But I promised a positive angle, so here it is: while testing and hopelessly spraying, trying to make Eau Verte work, I got a good amount on my clothes. Unlike my skin, a cardigan and a yoga jacket managed to retain the scent for several hours, and it worked a lot better on fabric. The scent was a bit sweeter and more balanced and pleasant. So there you have it, for $105 you can have a 3.4 oz bottle of refreshing linen spray.

Chanel Cristalle Eau Verte is available from Bergdorf and Neiman Marcus for the unreasonable price I mentioned above. I managed to drain a couple of samples from these stores before giving up on it.

Art: Sparks by Pamela Sukhum

No comments:

Post a Comment